I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but this quilt was intended as a baby gift, and the baby for whom I was making it is well past 2 years old now. Sometimes projects slow to a crawl, then get set aside – this quilt was one of those kinds of projects.
I had finished piecing the top, and I’d “sandwiched” it – aligning the backing fabric, the batting for the middle, and the pieced top. I’d even quilted about 2/3 of the quilt, but I was using a more heavy-duty thread than usual, and it kept breaking, and breaking, and breaking. In frustration, I set the quilt aside and tried to figure out what I’d have to do to salvage it. That was a couple of years ago. The baby the quilt was meant for got a different present. Time passed. Then over last Christmas holiday I pulled this quilt out and started ripping out the quilting. It was such a pain – and heartbreaking, because the quilting thread was a gorgeous variegated orange, but just not the right weight for what I was doing.
Once I had all the thread out, the quilt went back into the “eventually” pile. Finally this week I buckled down and finished it off, using simple beige thread and a bright orange batik binding. Once I put my mind to it, the quilting and binding only took a couple of evening sessions, and now it’s all done, washed, and ready for whatever use I put it to. Having it off the “to-do” list and into the finished quilt pile is very satisfying!